When I walk into my clinic everyday I know that seven out of ten patients that I see are having their immune systems destroying their own bodies. It is a daunting task to figure out the “why” behind every autoimmune case that I see. Today I want to share some important scientific facts about autoimmune disease and give the basics on how autoimmune disease can be sent into remission.
1. Up to 80 million Americans suffer with an autoimmune disease; this is more than cancer, heart disease and type 2 diabetes combined!
2. Autoimmune disease does not just randomly happen; in the scientific literature there are well known underlying causes and triggers, that once identified and removed, can often send autoimmune disease into remission.
3. Traditional medicine does not address underlying causes to autoimmune disease; what they have to offer are medications to address the symptoms only- these are usually immuno-suppressant medications that carry with them serious side effects.
4. The causes of autoimmune disease vary from person to person; many patients that I see have been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and go online and they find many different causes and solutions to their disease. This approach is not time, effort or monetarily efficient. For example, I am currently seeing 15 patients with Hasimoto’s autoimmune thyroid and EACH one has different autoimmune causes, triggers, and remedies! The key is to do the proper testing and to identify each person’s triggers.
5. When a person is autoimmune against one tissue site the chances are great that they are or will be autoimmune against multiple sites. So waiting to identify the underlying causes is a dangerous game.
6. The average length between when the immune system starts to attack the body and when symptoms appear from these attacks is 12 years. Early diagnosis and management is imperative.
7. Because there are so many things in our environment and food supply that didn’t exist just a few decades ago our immune systems are working harder than ever; this is the main reason why autoimmunity is skyrocketing.
8. The gateway to autoimmune disease is a compromised barrier system. The main barrier system between the outside world and the inside of our body is in the gut. A compromised gut barrier (also known as “Leaky Gut Syndrome”) is the first thing that must be fixed in ALL autoimmune disease.
9. Many people with chronic health issues such as fatigue, weight gain, chronic pain, depression, brain fog, digestive problems etc. are autoimmune and don’t know it. Auto immune disease is extremely under diagnosed.
“I was told I had Crohn’s Disease. It was terrible. I had constant bloating, I was in the bathroom all of the time and I was upset and depressed all of the time… I was in the hospital so much- for surgeries and testing… the surgeons took out feet of intestine. I also had thyroid problems and used to cry all the time. Now I never cry- except for today. Today I got my first clean CT scan in 10 years! (Dr. Beyer) diagnosed me with Hashimotos, which was missed by my doctors. Even my energy…it’s unbelievable! It’s been 8 weeks… people have been coming up to me and asking me what I’m doing. I try to tell them…come here to see Dr. Beyer! The amount of money I spent…it was a leap of faith but it’s been so worth it!”Christine W. (37)
For questions or to schedule please call 708-614-1222 today!
Schedule Your New Patient Appointment With Dr. Beyer
Get started on your road to good health- make your new patient appointment today!
Schedule a Free 15 Minute Phone Consultation
Take the first step into good health, get more information, with a trained functional medicine consultant.